Join us in celebrating Global Handwashing Day tomorrow - 15 October - as we say “Make Handwashing a Habit!”
For handwashing to be effective, it must be practised consistently at key times, such as after using the toilet or before contact with food. While habits must be developed over time, this theme emphasises the importance of handwashing as a ritual behaviour for long term sustainability. Habit formation is currently a hot topic in sustainable behaviour change within the water, sanitation, and hygiene sector. This theme taps into that interest and is also a gateway to discussing what the sector knows about how habits are formed.
There are several key tools available on the Global Handwashing Day (GHD) resource page, including:
- The updated Planner’s Guide, available in both English and French, provides step-by-step instructions to planning an event, easy-to-use tools, detailed information about the importance of handwashing, and provides spotlights on current big ideas in handwashing including incorporating nudges into handwashing promotion programmes, the importance of handwashing in healthcare facilities, the impact of WASH and nutrition integration, and so much more.
- The 2016 Social Media Toolkit can help you in your advocacy work in reaching hundreds of millions of people with messages about handwashing, and contains sample Tweets, Facebook messages, and images to share on social media platforms.
- A habit formation fact sheet that provides implementers key information on handwashing with soap habits and ideas for how to continue the momentum beyond October 15.
- The GHD logo and posters/ signage for celebration planners to use.
- The Virtual Events page on our website promotes digital campaigns in support of Global Handwashing Day and the interactive map allows others to see how Global Handwashing Day was celebrated around the world.
There are also many other resources available online for you to use in strengthening your advocacy, and helping to make a strong call to make handwashing a habit!